Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice - - How will you spend the longest day of the year?



I mean anyone who has ever read Fitzgerald knows it's a day not to be reckoned with..

You don't just sit around counting daisies, you got to get up and get out and do something special on the longest day of the year, the summer solstice... the indisputable beginning of summer.

Some people sit at the beach at night and sing love songs to Mother Nature. Other's party hardy. Some worry on the end of the world or what tomorrow will bring. Some wax poetic on the aspects astrological while others stare off into the heavens at the sun and the multitude of Solar Storms going on right now.

What's your favorite drug of choice to while away the hours?

For me I'm on my way back home today, a quiet celebration of an old friend's birthday and the change of the seasons. I've heard one or two verses of the Cicada Song too many up north here in the South and I have things to do back home in the Tropical South.

There is a saying that wherever go ---->there you are .... That is true and lately I have been trying more to live in the moment and enjoy it's beauty. The problem with that logic is that while at the gym during a serious moment in ballet class or bollywood some memory comes back to me of some silly conversation and I start smiling ridiculously like a fifteen year old child in love or star struck on seeing a movie star. Memories invade my mind and make me giggle. Music from the past lingers in my head and makes me wiggle and oh lordy I am rhyming today. Someone here is smirking to himself, fine..fine..fine. I promise I won't go out and shoot anyone today or run anyone over in a white roadster and won't drink myself silly at the Ritz even though I'm feeling more like a Flapper lately than I am a writer. A friendly writer reminded me yesterday that at a Convention in NY I made a promise to write every day and she knows I haven't been as I am not sending her my work .... Fine, so I stand reminded and most likely will write my little heart out tonight while traveling under the aspects of the first night after the Summer Solstice.

As for the tropics. I am going to go insane and get silly again if nothing in the Atlantic or Caribbean develops soon. I remember one Shavous in Key West when I was off line for the Jewish Holiday and there was something bubbling in the tropics I walked over to NWS there and asked Matt and Jon if I could sit and watch a bit, and there was something to watch as I sat surrounded by all those big screens with the satellite feeds looping as we discussed the next to nothing chances for the tropical wave to develop.

You know it's slow when storm chasers are tracking sun spots:


And, I keep wondering why that big one looks like Africa... I had a tee shirt like that once I think...

This is a classic set up this year... dry May, strong high setting up, waves moving west. We are going to have a hurricane season this year. Possibly later rather than sooner but when it starts it will be one to remember. I promise you that.

For now the Pacific is popping and the wild storms on the Plains are on the front page. Nows the time to sit down and make a list of your priorities that you would need should a hurricane come to visit your humble abode. Trust me, crazy things can happen and will happen fast just when you let your guard down.

I have heard some stories that after the summer solstice (I know just a date on the calendar right??) that things change and the tropics ramp up ....

Only time will tell... and I'm wishing time would tell already!

Here are some various Summer Solstice articles from around the web for you to read, but the truth is.. the best way to enjoy the Summer Solstice is to get out there and do something that you love.

Of course, I have a friend down in Key West today who is smart enough to be in Key West during the Summer Solstice trying to do her margarita magic making miracles and smiles. Hope she enjoys one for me as I'll be sipping alone up here wishing I was down there today. Key West, by the way, is a great place to be for the summer solstice or the winter solstice or just about any solstice at all. You can watch the sun rise and watch it set all in one day, from the same place! How awesome is that?



As for the Tropics... I have it on the highest authority that nothing is happening. For some reason it takes two forecasters to write that up but really... nothing is happening in the Tropical Atlantic.

Besos BobbiStorm


General Daily Horoscope Influences from Google's Morning Feed:
The spinning Earth's North Pole is at maximum tilt toward the Sun today, marking the Summer Solstice at 1:16 pm EDT. This first day of summer in the Northern Hemisphere also marks the Sun's shift into nurturing Cancer, when long hours of daylight warm us and speed the growth of vegetation. Meanwhile, communicator Mercury runs into a resistant square to strict Saturn, revealing obstacles and making it tough to talk our way around real problems.

From Miami Marine Forecast, not waves are there, but nothings happening:
SYNOPSIS FOR CARIBBEAN SEA AND TROPICAL N ATLC FROM 07N TO 22N
BETWEEN 55W AND 65W
.SYNOPSIS...A TROPICAL WAVE E OF THE AREA WILL MOVE INTO THE
TROPICAL N ATLC EARLY WED. THIS WAVE WILL MOVE INTO THE E
CARIBBEAN EARLY THU...THE CENTRAL CARIBBEAN EARLY FRI...AND THE
WESTERN CARIBBEAN SAT. A SECOND TROPICAL WAVE WILL MOVE INTO
THE TROPICAL N ATLC SAT.

www.spaceweather.com
SOLSTICE SOLAR FLARE: The first day of northern summer began with a solar flare. Magnetic fields above sunspot complex 1236 erupted during the early hours of June 21st, hurling a coronal mass ejection (CME) almost directly toward Earth. The incoming CME does not appear to be particularly potent; nevertheless, the cloud could trigger polar geomagnetic storms when it reaches Earth on or about June 23rd. Check http://spaceweather.com for movies and updates.

HANG AN EXPLOSION ON YOUR WALL: The solar super-explosion of June 7, 2011, is now available from the Space Weather Store as a unique metallic wall hanging. Take a look: http://www.shopspaceweather.com/A-Blast-on-the-Sun.aspx

1 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jay Leonard Schwartz said...

I spent the day blogging on multidimensional multitasking for multifaceted malcontents. Then I cooked hot dogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home