Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snowicane? Last Blast of Winter?

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headline.asp?partner=accuweather&date=2010-02-24_15:15


Snowicane? Even I wouldn't use that term... I don't think.

Seriously hope Accuweather is wrong on this one...

On my way to New York for the Jewish Holiday of Purim, to be with family and enjoy being in Crown Heights for a long holiday weekend. Unfortunately, the drive north may include crummy weather and am wondering if I will see any color other than white snow, gray skies and brown trees...

Salient part for me:

"In the hardest-hit areas, it will seem more like a "snowicane," as a mere blizzard may not adequately describe conditions of this soon-to-be powerful nor'easter.

Wind
Wind gusts can reach 70 mph in some areas, just shy of hurricane force. Many locations in the mid-Atlantic and New England will endure gusts topping 50 mph at some point Thursday to Friday.

Winds of this strength will down trees and power lines. Expect flying debris ranging from trash cans to shingles. Significant property damage can occur."

I mentioned the thought of going over to the coast to watch the surf come in... no one seemed interested but me... Oh well...

So far the fog did not pan out, the snow has not snowed in my neck of the woods... I am praying that the Snowicane warnings also won't pan out because as much as I would LOVE a hurricane... a little nervous on Snowicanes...

If you scroll down through these many photos... shows what happens from start to finish in a snow storm in my favorite part of Brooklyn...

http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=24315

And, now after looking... I am thinking.......... why am I doing this?

Because it's Purim, the Jewish holiday of merriment, dress up, giving gifts and being happy and I want to be happy in Crown Heights with some of my kids and my grandchildren, little grandchildren of course ;)

And, as for me... I'm going to be a Gypsy Dancer for Purim.. of course, what else would I be?

The man at the bank this morning asked me if it was really going to snow today? I told him, maybe... late, a snow/rain mix. So far on this snow prediction thing I am batting 100% and the bank teller is getting pretty impressed, funny but true. Wait til the hurricane season starts...

So, when will the last blast of winter really be?

One wonders... I wonder... Everyone wonders...

El Nino is predicted to remain a while longer, which makes me think it will be a late start to the real hurricane season and if that were to happen, there would be a lot of latent heat in the Ocean and things might come alive later in the Cape Verde season.. IF El Nino goes away and the winds don't blow the tops off the developing tropical waves...

Who knows... will see..

My attitude about the hurricane season is like my attitude about Passover. I do NOT deal with Passover until Purim is over!

First things first... everything in it's time.

Right now... this is my destination for this weekend....



Hopefully, the snowicane won't be so bad and if it is... suppose I'll get some nice photos...

... seriously...

And... when winter departs ... then I'll think seriously on the hurricane season ;)

Besos Bobbi and Happy Purim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home