Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tropical Storm Development or Not? Miami Beach Delight...

The NOGAPS and another model is into speculation tonight as it tries to spin up a tropical low of some sort later in the week.

Jimmy Buffett should write a song called "That's What Math Is For" as meteorology calls out that age old question on a daily basis... Can you divide 144 by 24?

Eye Candy for the Tropically Insane of 2006:

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/nogapstc2.cgi?time=2006101712&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=144hr


Will see. Personally I think someone forgot to put the year in and it's an old model somewhere. Like the songs I am listening to tonight online.

Writing this post while waiting for a favorite old song to load. Someone must be looking through an old hard drive or IM is all I can say :) Nice presents tonight sent online.
Good thing they are so nice because they woke me from a very sound sleep. I didn't even know what day it was.. or where I was... Left the phone on "meeting" setting from earlier today and lord knows how many people I have pissed off by not 'hearing the phone' ring this evening. I woke up and there was this buzzing noise that I couldn't place... bzzzz bzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lol. Was the phone. Haha.

Anyways... I really wanted to blog earlier on how much I love Miami Beach. Stuck in traffic this morning, endless traffic going down I 95 to work. I mean cars and cars lined out like a parking lot. I began to take pics with the sidekick and sent them to a friend, funny pics. Ever watch people carefully stuck in the traffic. Those on the cellphone will at least never give in to road rage I imagine. I did notice those smoking seemed calmer.. just an observation. And, then...suddenly you break through and head out east bound over the Julia Tutle Causeway and OH WOW... picture perfect ... like propaganda from a computer graphic company for Postcards of Paradise. Palm tree lined causeways, deep blue skies, boats passing by in the distance, whimsical looking condos jutting together like someone designed a crossword puzzle in playful colors, warm and tropical. After years of hating modern architecture suddenly I love it. What a beautiful city, what a fun skyline.

And, then............oh wow, home... the golfcourse on Alton Road, the manicured roadways, the old homes built in the 1920s along Alton Road on old land pumped up from the bay bottom by dredgers back in the early 1920s. The new movie theatre on Lincoln Road that looks like it was built there back in the 30s or 40s and just newly decorated. A colado to wake me up and share with a friendly porter at some trendy hotel as tourists arise and fall out onto Lincoln Road mixing in with models up early for photo shoots and people rush Miami-Manhattan style off to work and Starbucks.

So there I was walking past some Latin doorman who said something not totally translated here about the pretty girl with the good smelling coffee and as I kept walking I giggled and turned around and took one of the little Cuban Coffee Cups and walked back and gave him a thimble full of the incredibly sweet, delicious morning brew while he tried to discern my name. A Miami moment..a Miami Beach moment.. a Lincoln Road moment! Ivan I think his name was...I told him in broken Spanish I had to go to work, enjoy the coffee and left him asking if I worked nearby and I giggled and thought "God I love this city!" and then I giggled thinking how pathetically they penned me and how much life imitates art and then I thought how beautiful the cute little art deco motels are splashed in colors against the background of bigger, newer trendier hotels shimmering in the morning sunshine on Collins. I don't think there can be hotels as beautiful and bright and ready to play anywhere... clustered against turquoise waters and sapphire skies and the month of October looks like July. It's like a new skyline, a new beach, looks like some beautiful beach in the Rivera but without the mountains, miles of sandy beaches, summer sunshine, palm trees from the Canary Islands and parrots, PARROTS flying overhead in some morning symphony singing songs that only Jimmy Buffett can decipher.

A beautiful, beautiful city... even the beach bums have a better life than any other bums anywhere. The bag lady has the cleanest toys gathered together in her shopping basket. The girls have the sexiest walk, the men have the friendliest nature, the best muscles, greatest tans, sexiest smiles, the store keepers the coolest "I don't give a damn attitude" and well you just walk down Lincoln Road and listen with your heart as the city wakes up, the night people go to sleep and the daytime people fall out onto Lincoln Road in search of Starbucks and sanity and all working in paradise.

That is what the traffic is for... that is what the commute is for... beautiful, simply beautiful... basking in the tropical balmy breeze.

Did Carl Fisher get that right or what?

Give thanks to John Collins and God Bless the Ghosts of Henry Flagler... they built a beautiful beginning to a City that never stops building or getting better.

:) What a song here.... oh my gosh, what a song.

I would be the one to hold you down and kiss you so hard and take your breath away...........oh wow, worlds away in time...such lyrics they do take your breath away. That was worth waking up for by the incessant text messager :)

Yes, some people take your breath away, some cities take your breath away, some places are beautiful for eternity.

Going to bed. Will worry on the Nogaps of 144 hours tomorrow.

Tropical Delights await in the morning...and a good cup of Cuban Coffee, Colada, Cortadita... Cafecito or maybe a tall cup of Verona Coffee at Starbucks and a ripe banana for breakfast from the Bodega.

Bobbi :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home